From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Post, Mark K
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:51 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: install methods

On a SUSE or Red Hat system, RPM is the only way software should be
installed.  As you mention, there have been "things" wrapped around it
to make software installation easier.  YaST is SUSE's method.  Red
Carpet is a Novell product.  Red Hat's is up2date.  Both call RPM for
you, after all dependencies have been satisfied.

I strongly suggest you get a least a little familiarity with the rpm
command, as there will be times when you want to install software that
doesn't come directly from SUSE or Red Hat.  If there are any packages
you can only get in source form, you'll also want to learn how to build
your own RPM packages from that.  Installing software on an RPM-based
system without using RPM is not a good idea at all.  A lot of people do
it, but if their luck runs out, then big problems can result.