On Thursday, 04/27/2006 at 11:16 ZE2, Rob van der Heij
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/27/06, Wiggins, Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Alright, when I go to YaST - "Clock and Time Zone Configuration", I
see
> > "Hardware clock set to UTC", I see "Region = USA" and "Time Zone =
> > Eastern". Are we talking about a different hardware clock here?
>
> That's the way to do it (and I am not sure this got fixed, but
> previously when you set it not to UTC you got a random offset ;-).
> Linux gets the hardware clock from its virtual TOD, and normally
> that's identical to the LPAR TOD, which is normally equal to the
> hardware TOD. They're all at UTC, which is good.

But it's important to remember that the TOD doesn't have an intrinsic
timezone.  Linux has been told to *assume* the TOD is set to UTC, and
since a virtual TOD is set from the LPAR TOD, the machine must be set to
UTC.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott