On 4/28/06, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But it's important to remember that the TOD doesn't have an intrinsic
timezone.  Linux has been told to *assume* the TOD is set to UTC, and
since a virtual TOD is set from the LPAR TOD, the machine must be set to
UTC.

Note that the Linux system clock itself runs at UTC. The thing with
the "hardware clock UTC" is because of Windows in dual-boot
configurations. Because Windows programs the RTC in local time, the
Linux kernel and hwclock have some ugly tricks to allow Linux to pick
up the local time from the hardware clock (as set by Windows) and
compute UTC out of that again (just like CP does when you change the
clock at IPL).

The other amusing difference is that Linux uses the system clock now
and then to correct the drift of the cheap RTC chip, where Windows
uses that cheap drifting RTC clock to correct for the cases where its
system clock failed to tick properly :-)

And now we have this clear, should we run UTC or GMT ?
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc