>I am not sure I remember this right, but I think they said the pay less
>then $1,000 per server.  They can buy a lot of $1,000 systems for the
>cost of one z9.

I'd say that's true in one sense - without the TCO calculations. But in
another sense - how much does it cost for a virtual Linux server? Assuming
(I know, I know.. ) their z/VM box has some capacity left, it costs very
little to create one more Linux image, and you don't have to wait for
someone to bring one from the storage room / warehouse.  Note that I'm
assuming Google buys extra hardware in advance, installing it as needed,
rather than waiting until they need it to buy it. If they wait until the
last minute to buy it, then you have to figure in delivery / shipping
costs.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation