Don't forget to check your power supply under load, either. The PS is the
primary point of entry for those dustbunnies, which can really hose a
power supply. I've had just *one* bad AMD chip in the past (not bad for as
many as I've bought) which actually behaved once I cut its multiplier down
to below spec; but all the rest of the failures I've seen have been power
supply-related (sigh, even Antec). The symptoms you'll see might make you
*think* it's CPU/thermal.

--Jim--

"Kielek, Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
05/18/2006 10:32 AM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Who's been reading our list...

Many times when it works like that for a little bit and then freezes up,
you're experiencing a thermal issue. There could be any number of
reasons for that and a couple of the common ones it seems you looked at
(fans, heastink).

And yes, the Athlon is not in the same class as the Opteron. :)

-Sam