3 guests at 512MB. With Linux all pages will be touched and become part of
the working set. z/VM calculates total working set requirements = 3 * 512MB
and compares it against what's available c.1488 * 0.95 (95% for Q3 STORBUF).
It then determines that not all Linux guests can be dispatched and will
therefore put one of them in the eligible queue.

What you want to do is either or both of these:
(1) Reduce guest size to what's actually needed by the app.
(2) Change STORBUF value to something that allows you to overcommit storage
for Q3 guests (what that value is varies from site to site). By allowing
z/VM to overcommit it will then let the machines be dispatched and the
system will page when needed.

The default SRM settings are an artifact of the days when CMS user type work
was the main thing the system did. These were the quick running transaction
types where there'd be long pauses between activity (as the user hit the
enter key when editing).

Your performance tool will help you adjust these values. If you have ESAMON
etc. then the ESATUNE report should help you here.

Neale