We are preparing to release a new commercial application which will
support zSeries linux distros,
and are hoping to get some advice and/or suggestions for packaging the
product for zSeries.

Our current thinking is to make the following distribution formats
available:

1) "s390" (31 bit) architecture LSB 3.0 compatible RPM
2) "s390x" (64 bit) architecture LSB 3.0 compatible RPM
3) source rpm
4) source tarball

These are our questions / issues:

1) RHEL 3.x is not LSB 3.0 compatible, whereas RHEL 4.2+ and SLE 9.3+ are.
Would this affect a significant portion of the current zLinux installed
population?
Are there problems with LSB3.0 support on zSeries linux distros that we
aren't aware of?

2) For non-LSB3.0 environments, we would have instructions on how to do
a source RPM install
or a source tarball "make/make install".
Even though the build is simple, will this be a issue with some z Linux
customers?

Based on feedback, we can really decide to ship the package formats that
users seem to want/need,
but we would *really* like to keep the binary packages to a small number.
We would like to be able to use a single zLinux image to build binary
packages.

It would be *ideal* for us to just ship source packages, but our
intuition is that no matter how simple the
build process, some customers will only want binaries (the opposite of
my preference :-)

Your comments and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Regards,

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC