Good question, good answer...   No z/OS, multiple VSEs...
Lee

Tim Hare wrote:
Gotta ask - why aren't you going directly to the TN3270E server in z/OS
Comm. Server? Seems like you're adding a Linux layer you don't really
need.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209

David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
12/01/2006 10:41 AM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: SNA via OSA - Best option?

I have a client who is putting up a SNA terminal server on Linux
(tn3270
via TCP/IP to the terminal server which then connects it to VTAM via
SNA
out out the other side...   The TCP/IP traffic in is easy via an
existing vswitch.

Kind of an expensive solution to a problem with a much simpler solution,
isn't it? Ah well, c'est la vie.

- We could set up a new vswitch as layer 2, but is it worth it to set
up
a vswitch for one userid?

Why not? Private GLANs/VSWITCHes work just fine, and it doesn't cost you
anything. Put the definition into the startup for the ID in question,
and it's done.

- We could also dedicate an OSA attachment (just 3 unused device
addresses, not the whole OSA) to the userid and let it just run that
connection direct to the OSA and let Linux activate the layer 2
support.

Waste of perfectly good hardware if the traffic is in the system
already.

- And lastly, since this is MAC address to MAC address, will the
default
MAC address VM gives me work, or do I have to build one of my own?

If you are using layer 2 GLANs, the default MAC assignment will work,
but you should assign a fixed address to the interface for stability
reasons (and the fact that VTAM is such a PITA about MAC addresses).
Also make sure that your MACPREFIX is set in the SYSTEM CONFIG.

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Enterprise Systems Group
Phone: (303) 798-2954
Fax: (720) 228-2321