Kris Van Hees wrote:
Actually, more than small and subtle...  Dependencies for the binary RPMs are
in part derived from the build environment, so creating a SuSE RPM on a RedHat
system, or the other way around, is never a good idea.  It can be made to work
with the right amount of dark magic, but it isn't for the faint of heart, and
it is bound to get you into a lot of misery down the road.

        Cheers,
        Kris

Kris,

The application itself is quite portable and after some work complies
100% with LSB 3.0.
(http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB)

Of course we would be testing on as many architectures and distros as
possible,
but we've had success in building LSB3.0 compatible RPMs (for arch=i486,
arch=x86_64, arch=ppc, and arch=ppc64)
that install and  run correctly on several LSB3.0 distros (including
Debian/Ubuntu via alien).

We are hoping that LSB 3.0 compatible RPMs for arch=s390 and  arch=s390x
will work as well.

If this is "never a good idea", can you elaborate on issues that you see?

Following is a snippet from the RPM spec that is used for LSB packaging
that I believe is
designed to address the issues that you mention.    The point of LSB is
to have - by architecture -
binary application compatibility across LSB compatible distros.   As you
can see below,
a "lsb compatible" distro is required to have "lsb" support packages
that wash away distro-specific
dependencies.

Buildroot:    /var/tmp/%{name}
Prefix:        /opt/dovetail/xxx