Jan,

That 'FAQ' is interesting and mostly contains information that continues to be true today. I would be interested in what you don't agree with.

But back to your original question.

   * Linux in an LPAR vs Linux running under VM:
   * Linux in an LPAR can scale to the number of LPARs available on
     your model CPU.  (Up to 60 on a z9 EC) Under z/VM the number of
     linux instances is limited by the resources they need and the
     resources you have.
   * Yes z/VM does have some overhead, how much is very dependent on
your system. * VM can provide significant benefits to the environment, especially
     when running a number of different workloads.  Sharing and
     over-committement of memory is one significant advantages.
     Management of many workloads is another.

One big disadvantage to linux in an LPAR without a z/VM environment is the need to build another LPAR for a dev/test environment for linux itself and the inability to share memory amongst LPAR does cost $

Phil

Jan Vanbrabant wrote:

Hi, We are starting up a POC project of DB2 Connect on zLinux and we are busy describing the project's scope and aim. So we can go natively in a LPAR or under VM (or both of course). Can you route me to some doc or provide us with some pointers about the pro's & con's in this LPAR-vs-VM issue?
And please of a lot of more & higher quality than the very basic
http://www.marist.edu/linuxvm/faq.html
(I don't agree at all with: The discussion of “why VM” is in the FAQ, http://www.marist.edu/linuxvm/faq.html, and it should be referenced before rehashing old discussions.) jan

'in media stat virtus'
Virtue's in the middle