Re. Mark Post saying:
    After using z/VM to run Linux guests, trying to do it in an LPAR feels
    like I'm blindfolded with both hands tied behind my back.
&
Re. this  http://www.marist.edu/linuxvm/FAQ.html quote:
    Q: Why are we using VM?
    A: Several reasons: VM presents a "less hostile environment" to Linux (or
       any guest operating system) than the real hardware. VM allows
       concurrent execution of multiple Linux instances. VM simplifies early
       development by providing short-cuts to many S/390 operations and
       services. VM has strong debugging facilities. And because we think
       it's way cool.

Well, Mark, thanks in the first please for your post.
But I would like to know precisely in what "blindfolded" & "less hostile
environment"  consists of.
Is that described somewhere?
Has kind of a benchmark/experience or some exercise been done to differentiate
the 2 environments?
Or has everybody to learn it by himself the hard way:
start natively in an LPAR & end up with VM ?
(I've heard of several such roadmaps...)
Jan

PS
You should know that besides z/OS, we are partially VM. But that platform is
not strategic within our company. And after many years the management has
finally decided to get rid of it and to migrate it to MVS. Should be realized
by the 2-nd half of next year.
And now, zLinux is peeping around the corner ...  with VM sitting & laughing on
it's shoulder.