Life with Linux ended up less ideal, for various reasons (mostly
political, imho). We now find that z/VM reveals way to much details
about the real system to the guest, and Linux code deals with those
details as if it were running on bare metal. And everyone thinks that
it is normal that you would need to upgrade all your Linux virtual
machines just because you moved their mini disks from one DASD
subsystem to the other.

The above is not true.  I migrated Suse 7, Suse8 and Suse 9 images that
were on minidisks residing on a combination of MP3000 Internal Dasd and
Ramac Dasd Subsystem to DS6800.  3390 minidisks to 3390 minidisks.
Linux didn't know or cared a thing about it.

This was with less than full pack minidisks (many times starting at cyl
1).  Now to change the minidisk size, that has been a problem that takes
a little work.

But the big plus for VM is the ability to support more Linux images with
a given set of resources, vs the LPAR route.

If I need more main memory, I can have it (swap on vdisk for example, or
a saved segment).  I can have all my copies of Linux having the same
hardware addresses (150 is root, 160 is application/data if small image,
17X is LVM for larger images, 0600 is OSA).  All code and configurations
are near the same.

With VM, I create a new Linux image, from the install CDs, in 2 hours,
customized, with the service packs installed.  Oracle takes an
additional 3 hours, customized with service.  The install server doesn't
take any resources (besides disk) when not in use.  Vswitch is very fast
and I can have more connections then with Hyperswitch.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting