What is the "Linux OOM killer"?

Is it part of the standard Linux install, a product to be installed, or
a product to be bought?

The problems I had with vdisk abuse, and the paging system, was on
SLES8 on the MP3000.  Perhaps later favors have OOM?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting
(once shot, twice shy)

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2/23/2007 2:59 PM >>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at  3:21 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Right, on a normal load basis, this is correct.  But, in most
"normal
> load" machines, there are abnormal times.  Such as applying a
service
> pack, or a runaway program that eats up storage, or some bogus
process
> (or dumb user) starting up VNCSERVER, over and over (multiple copies
> running), or.....

Sorry, but I can't agree with this.  If you have your guests set up to
only use xMB of VDISK, if you have a runaway process, the Linux OOM
killer will kick in and solve the problem (one way or another).  Don't
allocate more than two VDISKS and prioritize them.  Set an alert so that
when the second one starts being used, a human will look at the system
to find out why.  Limit your guests and their VDISKS to what your system
can tolerate at peak load.  It's more work to set up, but in the long
run will save you headaches.

send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit