Ok, OOM...yea it has been around.

My experience is once it starts killing processes, it is time to cycle
that image.

The hard part is knowing how much vdisk you need to handle the
exception conditions (like maintenance or compiling or...) but not so
much as that the only time it would be fully used, is in some sort of
runaway process.

And that all depends on the application mix you have.  And there are no
good rules of thumb.  Without a VM performance monitor (don't have one,
yet), you really have no idea of your high water mark of your vdisk
usage.  Well, there is a file in Linux, that contains this info tracked
by time.

And, of course, all of this depends on your size of processer, memory
in the lpar, workload, etc.

Vdisk is just one of those things, that, if taken too lightly, will
bite you later.  But everything is like that.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> "Mark Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/23/2007 3:51 PM >>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at  4:35 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tom Duerbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What is the "Linux OOM killer"?
>
> Is it part of the standard Linux install, a product to be installed,
or
> a product to be bought?
>
> The problems I had with vdisk abuse, and the paging system, was on
> SLES8 on the MP3000.  Perhaps later favors have OOM?

The Out of Memory Killer is a feature of the kernel virtual storage
management function.  It's been around for quite a while, but was
improved quite a bit for the 2.6 kernels.  The only thing you have to do
to activate it is run out of virtual storage (i.e., what Linux thinks of
as real storage and swap space), and it will start killing processes
semi-randomly.  :)  Vastly preferable to swamping your z/VM paging
subsystem.