Not to sound coy, but I want the best of both worlds.  ;-)

Primarily I need a DR solution; mainly to be able to bring the system
back from a disaster in under a week. There are already DR processes in
place for other systems on the mainframe(s), such as MVS, CICS, etc. I
am behind on z/VM in that regard. I took Steve Frazier's suggestion to
heart and started reading up on DDR. I've backed up z/VM with DDR in the
past, but I have yet to try it with the DASD used by the Linux guests.
Given what I already know about using DDR with the system volumes, I'm
sure I could stumble through it. What I hoped to do is get some sort of
automated backup established for both DR and application data. I've sent
inquires to our VAR for information on BrightStor VM:Backup and IBM's
Backup and Restore for z/VM. We'll take a look at both of those products
and see what fits. My biggest interest was leveraging our VTS. I can
easily walk out on the raised floor and swap tapes, or perhaps have an
operator take care of it, but automation has so much appeal.  :-)

To answer a couple of questions already posed to me in this thread:

1. Yes, I am interested in learning more about the free front-ends for
DDR that have been written by folks on this list.

2. I didn't post to the VM list because I felt that cross-posting might
have been frowned upon...

3. Dennis asked if I was going to take the guests offline while doing a
backup. Yes, that was my plan. I have one day a week when there's no
workload on any of the guests, so I can take advantage of that in the
short term.

My sincere thanks to everyone that's responded to my questions.

Dave