> I also am looking for something to collect documentation tidbits into
a DB
> that all can contribute to. We do have a need to search and organise
> though.

Take a look at content management systems like Drupal or Mambo as well
as wiki. I like the simplicity of the wiki idea, but it's biggest flaw
is that you really have to set the structure before you cut the unwashed
masses loose on it if you expect to be able to really make any
coordinated use of it.

> We are a very small group (6 ppl) and are only doing the
> occaisional DB updates and compilations. I was considering just
writing my
> own software with PHP/MySQL but found MySQL to be a memory hog so am
> unsure how that will affect us. We are also somewhat constrained with
> z/Linux under a z/VM guest.
> Is wiki not the way for me to go?

It'll work fine for that purpose - most of the piggy bits are related to
search and initial page entry, so if you're not doing a lot of changes,
you shouldn't have problems. Just put some planning time into setting up
an initial page structure that makes sense to all of you (or can be
easily documented), and you should be fine.