> So, if I'm understanding this correctly, taking a backup of a running
> Linux system from another LPAR gives you, at best, an unreliable
backup.

Yep.

> That means that there are only two viable alternatives:
> Shut down Linux and do the backup from another LPAR or,
> Use a backup client that runs within Linux and therefore participates
in
> its file system processing, getting all the current and correct data
for
> the backup.
> Is that about it?

Admirably put.

> The problem, as I see it, with backing up from another LPAR is that
there
> is no incremental or differential backup capability. Nor is there any
> selective restore capability. Its an all-or-nothing backup/restore.

The problem there is that none of the IBM-supplied tools can interpret a
Linux filesystem. You're dumping physical data, which doesn't include
any metadata like what block belongs to what file. The Linux backup
clients have that capability because they're privy to the information
Linux keeps.
That's why there's no incremental or differential capability. An image
is an image.