On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 14:34 -0600, Mark Post wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Susan Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Listers.
> >
> > I am trying to issue a vmcp command within a boot script and receive the
> > following message during boot:
> >
> >  Error: Could not open device /dev/vmcp: No such device
> >         +++ RC=3 +++
> >
> > Once the system is booted, I can see the device...
> >
> > Any ideas on how to make this device permanent?
>
> Which distribution are you running?  On SLES, you can add vmcp to the list of
> modules that need to be in the initrd by editing /etc/sysconfig/kernel
> INITRD_MODULES="vmcp"
>
> Mark Post

In RHEL, you can modprobe vmcp in /etc/rc.local, or you can do this
directly in your startup script.  Early versions of RHEL 4 have a delay
between loading the module and the device node showing up in /dev, so
you can do something like the attached clone script from the RHEL 4
Redbook (see the function wait_for_device).  RHEL 4.5 and beyond
shouldn't have this delay.

-Brad