Hi Mark.

I moved vmcp to the INITRD_MODULES but it still results in the same
message.

during boot:

Starting udev
Creating devices
z/VM CP interface loaded
.
.
.

Error: Could not open device /dev/vmcp: No such device
       +++ RC=3 +++

my settings now are:

INITRD_MODULES="vmcp"

## Type:                string
## ServiceRestart:      boot.loadmodules
#
# This variable contains the list of modules to be loaded
# once the main filesystem is active
#
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT=""

>From what I can tell, the device exists...