>>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2007 at  8:02 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Martin, Larry
D" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Looking for help.

You came to the right place.  (Although the trial copy also gets you
installation help.)

> This is my first attempt at Linux on the mainframe.  I have a trial copy
> of SUSE 10 and am trying to install it into an LPAR on a Z890.

Did you know that IBM will also let you try out z/VM at no cost?  That would
make your testing immensely easier on you.

> I have built an IPL Tape and that works.  When trying to build the
> system I need to access the INSTALL folder at an FTP site.  I have that
> on a Windows 2000 server but all I can get is "image not found".

If you're going to use a Windows server, you would need to use the SMB access
method, not FTP.  If you have access to a UNIX/Linux system, you can use any
supported method you like.

> Can someone give me any insight as to what the response to the "Enter
> the directory on the server" should look like?

I don't think this is your problem, rather the fact that you're using a Windows
FTP server.  However...  The installer is looking for the path to the directory
that includes the media.1 directory.  With SLES9, this had to be a _relative_
path to that directory, starting from the home directory of what ever userid
you were using to access the FTP server.  I haven't tried to verify if that
holds true with SLES10 or not.

> I have no CDROM available.  I also tried NFS from a z/OS 1.7 system with
> similar results.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by no CDROM.  How did you get the installation
media onto the Windows system?  If you have _any_ network connected Intel
system, with a CD/DVD reader on it, you can actually boot from the Linux for
System z CD (or DVD), and it will launch an Intel Linux system that will act as
an FTP/NFS/SMB server for the media you just booted from.  All without
modifying your hard drive in any way.  (Pretty cool, and thanks to Ihno
Krumreich for informing me of that.)

Mark Post
Linux Deployment SWAT Team