> Just curious, because I don't know how the hardware works, if
> 30 mainframes do the work of 3,900 servers, that means 1
> mainframe does 130.

> Does that mean that potentially that 1 mainframe has the
> equivalent of at least 130 network cards? I can see how most of
> the hardware is virtualized, but the networking I don't quite
> see, yet. How does that part work?

Lindy:

You can have up to 24 OSA-Express cards in a System z9 EC (each
with 2 physical ports). Each port can have up to 640 TCP/IP
stacks (Linux images). For more information see:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/networking/features.html

However, when running large numbers of Linux images, you normally
run these under z/VM. z/VM has a built-in Ethernet switch (in
software) so you can have the Linux images connect to one or more
VSWITCHes which connect to the physical OSA-Express ports. Also,
on the z9 family you can use a function call Link Aggregation to
use multiple physical ports through the VSWITCH for performance
and availability. For more information see:

http://www.vm.ibm.com/virtualnetwork/

Jim