> 1.  When FTPing to a tape drive, can I drive the tape drive without
> excessive shoe shining?  i.e. get any decent performance out of it?
But
> then, at times, I'm not sure I care about performance, if it fits
within
> the batch window.

Dunno about VSE, but when I've tried this with z/OS (yes, I know it's
not supported, so sue me), the holdup is the tape, not the network (or
at least from within the machine). It'll depend a lot on how efficient
the OS is when moving network buffers to tape and how fast you can write
on the tape and clear buffers.

> 2.  With all the translation going on, when I ftp the tape file back
> Linux disk, will it still be in the proper format (i.e. block size,
recfm,
> or whatever it looks like on a Linux file system).

Linux files are just byte streams. There is no internal structure to
preserve, so as long as you transfer in binary mode, Linux doesn't care.