> I prefer NFS but we don't have it installed. I suppose it's no-cost,
and
> comes with z/OS.

I *think* it does nowadays, but you'd need to ask someone more familiar
with z/OS packaging. I just configure 'em, I don't license 'em. See your
system programmer. Void where prohibited. 8-)

> We will store a lot of server's logs in z/linux (topic "file serving")
for
> two weeks, or one month. After we'll migrate and store them in our
> recently
> bought EMC's Centera, for two years max (legal requirement). Then
we'll
> migrate them to tape.

Another reason to use Bacula. Bacula supports multiple pools for
migration. Set up logrotate as normal, and include the directories where
you store your logs in your normal Bacula backup jobs. Define a disk
pool for the day-to-day backups as the first pool in the chain and use
that for the target pool in the job definition. Define a pool on the
Centera as the next pool in the chain and set up a migration job to move
files older than two weeks or a month from the first pool to the Centera
pool. Define a pool on z/OS NFS disk, and set up a migration job to move
files older than 2 years from the Centera pool to the z/OS NFS pool. Set
up DFSMShsm migration on the z/OS datasets in the NFS pool as ASAP
migration, and you've got the whole ball of wax completely automated and
hands-free.

> How can I backup the z/VM and the linux resident minidiscs?

0) Take a dump of your z/VM IPL volume with regular DDR or ADRDSSU and
put that tape away somewhere safe as an emergency 1-pack system. You
should stick CMSDDR and/or PIPEDDR on a minidisk attached to the
OPERATOR id so they end up on the z/VM IPL volume as part of your
emergency system. Also, make sure MAINT 190 also stays on that volume so
you can get in and use CMS if everything craters.

1) Separate your z/VM sysres and CMS-related data on one set of DASD.
Put your Linux guests on a different group of DASD. Do not EVER mix the
two. Keep PAGE and SPOL data on separate DASD from either one.

2) Use PIPEDDR or CMSDDR (both from the VM download library at
www.vm.ibm.com/download) to dump the sysres and CMS-related data with
the COMPRESS operand (for CMSDDR, PIPEDDR automagically does that) to
CMS files (one per volume), and write a short exec to VMARC the CMS
files containing the dumps (to protect the record structure) and copy
them to your z/OS NFS area using the CMS NFS client. Migrate to tape
them on the same schedule as you do your Bacula volumes.

3) Dump your SPOL data using SPXTAPE occasionally. On a system with few
or no CMS users, this data changes rarely, so you don't have to do this
very often (once a month is usually sufficient) -- note that this is the
only piece which you need an actual real physical tape drive to perform.
PAGE data is volatile, so you don't really have to care about those
packs other than to know they're there and provide a similar amount of
space in case of a disaster.

3.5) Use minidisks for your Linux installs that start at cyl 1, not 0,
and are 1 cylinder short of the end of the volume. Wastes a little disk
space, but lets you easily restore them 2nd level if you need to.

4) Back up your Linux guests with Bacula the same way I described for
your log data. The only exception is your Bacula backup server guest,
which needs to be dumped along with the z/VM and CMS data after it is
shut down and logged off. If you have to restore from bare metal, you'll
restore your IPL volume from the DDR or ADRDSSU tape, IPL, create some
SPOL and PAGE volumes with ICKDSF, format and label a volume for the
Bacula server guest, then restore the Bacula server from the CMSDDR or
PIPEDDR dump. You then IPL the Bacula server and use it to restore
everything else.

5) Make an IPLable emergency tape for your version of Linux as a safety
net just in case something doesn't restore correctly and you need to
boot Linux from tape and rerun zipl to re-establish boot blocks on a
minidisk. You don't absolutely have to have the very latest, but
something reasonably close (usually the same major release) is a Good
Idea.