> > In future, could people recognise that not everyone understands US
> > times, and translate times to GMT (UTC). Probably we can all
translate
> > GMT to our local times.
>
> What, you don't have one of those handy dandy timezone changers on
your
> desktop toolbar?  Heck, even Windows has that.  I use mine all the
time to
> figure out what the time is in other parts of the world.  Or you could
use
> the world clock, or....

In John's defense, it is a bit annoying that people in the US tend to
assume that the US is the center of the known universe (thank goodness
it's not). Since he's in Australia, that 16 hour time difference is Not
Fun At All for non-US attendees to US events, particularly for those in
Asia. Trying to schedule conference calls with people in Japan and China
is a major PITA.

A possible solution would be to add a ICS (Internet Calendar Service)
meeting notice to the posting (would require some work on the mailing
list server to permit .ICS files to pass the attachment filter). Times
and dates in ICS notices are in ISOdate format with times in UTC, and
Notes (finally!) can generate and understand them properly, as does
Outlook/Exchange and the other similar widgets. Then the meeting
schedule would appear in the proper local time.

-- db