On 8/26/07, Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We're talking about two totally different things.

Sure, there are several things that affect each other. Most understand
the limitations of root passwords, especially when you have a diverse
support staff and many servers.
My illustration of how we got around without any root passwords was to
counter the common idea that you need a root password anyway (often
like that *you* need it and others don't). And sulogin invoked after
fsck was one of the places that required it.

These days VM is not the only place where access to the server console
is often managed properly, and in those cases prompting for a password
is not needed (even unwanted, as I explained).
I believe that when done properly, you can achieve more professional
access control to your Linux servers (better security and easier to
use). It's about cleaning up and get rid of old habits, and then
raising the bar one notch again, after 20 years or so. I can
understand this may be too complex for a distributor to drive, but it
would be nice to tolerate it without the need for local mods.

Rob