The point is that sulogin *is* called from multiple places, so if
you're going to get rid of the root password (Rob's point) you either
get to modify all the places that invoke sulogin (I find 3 scripts in
/etc/init.d, plus /etc/inittab, and there could be more) or you modify
/sbin/sulogin.  In either case, you have "local mods" to maintain,
which has its drawbacks, of course..

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support