>>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at  6:32 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rob van der Heij
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-sip-
> This is not a matter of getting in the way. What does get in the way
> is a root password that is known by some people and can be used beyond
> their original need to know.

If you let that happen.  My prior management did not, unless there was a
contractual requirement, in which case all SLAs were null for those particular
systems.  In all other cases, sudo was sufficient.  It's mostly a matter of
knowledgeable management who also have some, umm, guts.  Mine was, and did.

-snip-
> And non-encrypted private keys (null passphrase) are evil.

Careful.  Gabe didn't say he did that.  He said he had non-null passphrases.

My personal opinion is that any Linux system protected by a z/VM
userid/password doesn't _need_ to have a login prompt on the virtual console.
Having bash running is just fine.  Even so, in absolute terms, that _is_ less
secure than having both.  Just not meaningfully so, IMO.  And just because you
have a root password doesn't mean you can't use key pairs as well (as you
yourself said you did).