>>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:07 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Clark,
Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a FTPS (FTP over SSL) client package that will work
> on SLES9 on the S390?

Not at the moment, but I'll ask around inside Novell.

> I need to send a file to a remote server who
> requires ftp over ssl.  I made a mistake and assumed that sftp was the
> same thing.  I understand vsftpd supports ftp over ssl but I don't see
> how to setup a client to initiate the data transfer process.

The vsftpd package doesn't contain an ftp client, SSL-enabled or not.

> Also, I
> read in one of the threads sftp (using ssh) could also be configured to
> support ssl.  I have not found any documentation the shows how to
> configure that either.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

The ssh/scp/sftp commands all use SSL to encrypt traffic, all the time.  You
don't have to do anything to enable it.  As you mentioned in your first
paragraph, though, sftp is a distinct protocol from FTPS, so you can't use that
to talk to an SSL-enabled FTP server.

If you're up for building your own package from source (using RPM, of course),
I know that lftp supports FTPS.  If you really, really need something that
works until I can find an answer, that's one option.