Sue Sivets wrote:
I need to move all of my Linux volumes from an Hitachi box (that will
eventually be going out the door) to a new box. Most of the Linux dasd
are 3390-3 with a couple of mod 1's used for swap vols.There are almost
no mod 3's on the new box, and several of the system volumes have
reached the point where they need to be migrated to larger volumes so I
would like to move most of the mod 3's to  mod 9's.  I can use FDR full
volume restore to put the data on the new volume, but I'm afraid that
I'll loose the extra space on the new volume if I do. I can do this if I
have to, but it doesn't really seem like a smart way to accomplish what
I'd like to.  I have also used the instructions on linuxvm.org for

Assuming one partition per physical volume and no LVMs etc, what I'd do
on Intellish hardware is use dd to copy the entire volume, partition
table and all. Like this:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=$((1024*1024))

Then I'd run fdisk (or similar) to delete the partition on the target,
then recreate it to the maximum size. Before writing it back, I'd check
that the new partition starts in the right place.

Then I'd resize the filesystem using the appropriate tool:
resize2fs /dev/hdc1

I did this last weekend (booted Knoppix) for our Windows 2003 server.
Worked wonderfully.

If you have several partitions, it's a little more complicated: you need
to construct an appropriate partition table on the destination volume
then use dd+resizer separately for each.

I suppose the procedure can be adapted to LVMs and RAID, but i've never
had occasion to try.

--

Cheers
John