On 9/4/07, Rick Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I cannot wait for Barton and company to measure it!

Don't hold your breath...   Most of the measurements we do is because
of real customer requirements to reduce their TCO or improve
performance without increasing cost. And most of our customers do run
commercially supported distributions and applications, so there's
little options left.

PS The wonderful thing about Linux on z/VM performance is that there
often are multiple factors involved, and you cannot really predict the
effect without measuring. As for running 32-bit applications in a
64-bit kernel, you would imagine the memory requirements to be also
less because various objects are smaller in the 32-bit mode. But if
there are also 64-bit binaries (that came with the distribution) you
end up using both the 64-bit and the 32-bit glibc and other libraries.
And that increases the footprint of your server. Depending on the
actual numbers, the effect can go either way...

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc