>>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2007 at 10:44 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick Troth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Mark Post wrote:
>> I want to point out that "the situation that the recent distributions
>> are only available as 64-bit" was at the insistence of IBM itself.
>>  I personally still think that 31-bit versions are   ...
>
> Well ... that is sad.  Can you substantiate that?

Substantiate it in what way?  What do you require to believe it?

> I cannot offer MONEY to the IBM team(s) which support 31-bit
> "Linux for S/390".  But to abandon a platform is counter to
> the whole effort behind Linux.  (Not that platforms aren't lost.)

This had nothing to do with the developers.  It was a business decision made by
IBM.  The thinking (from what I was told) was that only a very small number of
IBM shops didn't have 64-bit hardware, and they by definition were running
unsupported, etc., etc., etc.  I.e., it came down to money.