> Would this be a case for having a z/Linux hosted on Hercules/390 on a
> x86 platform? I don't see the need for the reliability and scalability
> for this sort of thing.

I would say that something like a Fedora-DS appliance probably isn't the
place you'd make that argument. If you're going to do something like
that involving any Intel system, you should skip the 390 emulation and
just do it directly on the Intel system. Directory servers are usually
high-utilization boxes, particularly busy ones that also host the
database back end.

Wrt to using Herc on Intel boxes as a compile farm, again, just use the
cross-compilation tools that are already in gcc and run it native. Gcc
has the capability to generate object code for any architecture it
supports (provided you have the right libraries and header files
available) as part of the basic structure of the compiler. You don't
need to emulate the entire environment if you're just going to build
modules (and it's a lot faster that way).

> Of course, it would not be useful for actual
> system level testing, but for just compiling and initial testing, it
> might be useful.

For general experimentation, maybe. Otherwise, get z/VM. It's a more
effective way to do testing, and you can just go and deploy it via DDR
once you're done.

Now, if we're convincing IBM to license VM on Herc, that's a different
story...8-)