Greetings,

As part of our linux proof-of-concept project we built a new instance
of the servers which provide our big student services
application. The application runs on Oracle Web Application Server.
The zlinux instance is running pretty much alone on a z/800
ifl and has oodles of real memory. The application only accepts work
from 7am to midnight; the rest of the time it responds to any queries by
putting up a page listing the hours of availablity.

   The linux userid running the application was using about 3-4% of the
cpu. The day we added our instance to the (external) load balancer its
base cpu consumption went to 18% of the ifl, even during application downtime.
It does seem to be able to do its share of the work by using an additional
15% of the cpu when the application is open, but we are puzzled that
the polls by the load balancer seem to eat so much of a z/800 ifl.
The participating standalone (Dell) boxes get polled too but run
at <1% during downtime.

  Our IBM business partner is helping us investigate, but I thought
I'd ask this forum of experienced users if you've seen/conquered
performance problems running behind load balancers, or have an
opinion about how much work will fit on a z/800?

I have been told that the load-balancer polls are an xchange of
Hello/Server Hello packets on port 443 (not a full-blown SSL handshake)
every 2 seconds.

thanks,
kate

Kate Riggsby