Tom ...

I'm curious why you would pursue a "PDF capable printer"
instead of cranking out PostScript from CICS,
or generating PostScript.  It's easy to do.

PostScript is a 4th-like language  (where, for those unfamiliar
with it, there was once a language called "4th" and PS is like it).
I never learned 4th,  but was blessed with a PostScript based
workstation once upon a time.  Good stuff!

The nasty part about PostScript is that you have to have
a PS interpreter.  But if that is built-in to the printer,
then you're in business and ready to run.

I cannot objectively compare PS to PCL.  Perhaps others can.
The high point about PS from my perspective is that it is plain text.
(That is, version 1 was entirely plain printable characters, though
version 2 and up allows binary stuff, but does not to my knowledge
require it.)

-- R;