From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:24
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES 9 Rescue System SSH Error

>>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:16 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Sollenberger, Justin CIV DISA GS4B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
-snip-
> On the 3270 I booted the rescue system, went through the network
definitions
> and then aborted when it asked to "specify the installation source:".
 I then
> ssh into the rescue system via PuTTY and get the following:
>
> login as: root
> Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
> Password: "tmp password"
> Access denied
>
> Back on the 3270 console I see the following messages:
>
> Nov 15 13:40:43 suse sshdÝ310*: error: PAM: Authentication failure Nov
> 15 13:42:41 suse sshdÝ310*: fatal: Timeout before authentication
for
> ::ffff:"x.xx.xx.xx"
>
> Any ideas where I should begin?

Justin,

I just tried this, and it works for me.  I would suggest looking at your PuTTY
session parameters, and make sure it's trying SSHv2 first (if not only SSHv2).

One further suggestion, though, is that you specify the installation source.
The installer needs to pull down the stage2 file, which has most of the
commands you're going to want in it.  For example, yast.
;)

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit