Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 16.11.2007 20:17:10:
> Linux version 2.6.16.46-0.12-default ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
> 4.1.2 200701
[...]
> checking if image is initramfs... it is
> HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 000A0000 00000000

I've seen this symptom before (on z/VM 5.1 though): the problem was that
the Linux kernel issues a DIAG308 call with invalid parameters during
initialization. Somehow this confuses z/VM so that the ram disk would be
corrupted in memory and an attempt to unpack it would fail randomly.

The solution was to install a VM PTF (as documented in the SLES10 SP1
release notes):

APAR VM63742:

    * z/VM 4.4: UM31426
    * z/VM 5.1: UM31428