On Friday, 01/11/2008 at 09:27 EST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > I think you can virtualize the VT220 console under z/VM 5.3, can't
> you?
>
> Except there's nothing supplied that's capable of exploiting it, so it's
> pretty useless. Attaching a virtualized VT220 to the HMC isn't all that
> useful either given the arcane and fragile nature of the HMC.

1. z/VM 5.3 allows you to ATTACH the real HMC ASCII console to a guest. We
do that so that you can test how things behave if you run that Linux guest
in an LPAR, or use it to repair a Linux guest with a damaged network
connection.  I don't understand your point about nothing exploiting it;
it's for people.  Login to your HMC and start the ASCII console for the
z/VM LPAR.  Then go to CP and ATTACH it to Linux.  Make sure your Linux
configuration includes enablement of BOTH the 3215 and the full-screen
mode h/w console, with the 3215 as the preferred console.  (If the ASCII
console isn't attached with Linux comes up, I don't know if you have to do
something to get him to initialize it on ATTACH or not.)

2. I don't understand the "arcane and fragile" comment.  Someone who
hasn't been educated on mainframe system architecture will be stymied by
the HMC, I'm sure, but it's all window-y and point & click.  How is that
arcane?  I never hear of an HMC failure, though I *do* hear of the
occassional Support Element (SE) failure, but that's why there are two SEs
in the box.  And I believe there's support for multiple HMCs as well.
Maybe you're referring to the "F-R-A-G-I-L-E" on the shipping container?
That's the country of origin, pronounced "fra-gee-lay".  :-)

I understand that what people want is the ability to putty into the *VM*
system and be able to use the VT220 suppport to login and access the Linux
virtual machine console.  Oh, and you still want to be able to issue #CP
commands, not just Linux hcp commands.  A worthy goal.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott