On Thursday, 01/10/2008 at 04:07 EST, Jerry Whitteridge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Longer answer.  Current tools have them using ssh to access the console
> server and then from there to the Linux system. We are trying to see if
> that same environment (ASCII based ssh) can be used and eliminate the
> need to teach 3270 . (Obviously if we have to, we have to).

I understand better now.  z/VM does not virtualize the character mode
VT220 console, so a "virtual console server" along those lines isn't
possible.

But that doesn't mean you can't fix a Linux configuration.  Just use
another guest that DOES have its network connections up.  Take the problem
Linux offline (FORCE, shutdown).  Then have the Good Linux LINK to the
target Linux's disk and mount it.  Then you can edit (with all needed
tools) the Linux configuration.  When done, unmount, DETACH the disk, and
start up the Problem Linux again.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott