On Jan 29, 2008 3:10 AM, John Summerfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i'm surprised nobody's recommended Slackware. Its price is attractive.

Everything helps, but for many installations that's not the big cost
factor for doing a proof of concept.
Once you need to have folks involved from different blood groups in
the company, you talk about serious investment already. I can
understand that people are willing to pay for support even in that
phase. You don't want to spend $100K or more and conclude "we could
not get it to work" or "performance was bad" without knowing why. And
this holds for the middleware too. If your vendor only certifies for a
few kernels, that limits your options for distros.

My belief is that most vendors involved in a real deployment will be
available to assist in proof of concept as well.

-Rob