RPN01 wrote:

If you're "looking into Linux on the mainframe", and want to spend the least
amount of money to be sure it will work, Talk to your RedHat or Novell
representative. You may find that you can put up a supported RedHat or SuSE
system at no cost or for a minimum fee. Or, kick the tires with Debian or
another distribution. But be aware of the longer-term support issues; you
don't want to have a production system that won't run, and have nobody to
quickly talk to.

A little while ago I downloaded SLES 10 for Zeds foc. When I get
Hercules running on my emt-64 system, I plan to try it.

I have a FOC SLES 10 system I run paravirtualised[1] on my laptop from
time to time, mostly for educational purposes.

Once you're up and going, do try Debian, CentOS, Fedora and Slack/390.
You'll learn something from each install that you didn't know before, and
you'll be able to apply that knowledge to your chosen production
environment. "Know thy enemy!" Use every means available to advance your

I would call it "surveying the alternatives."

With the arrival of (very unpolished) virtualisation on Intellish
systems it's perfectly feasible to evaluate to a large extent the
others, including Fedora, without the use of expensive iron.

[1]  Virtualisation is partial, guests are modified. I suspect
performance is better - special drivers to talk directly to xen rather
than emulated hardware.

--

Cheers
John