On Friday, 02/01/2008 at 10:41 EST, Warren Taylor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> currently running RHEL4(64bit) under z/VM and NFS performance is dismal.
Not
> having much (hardly any) experience with linux I am beginning to wonder
if I
> need to ask for increased resources for the VM userid, but I don't know
where
> my bottleneck is located. Where should I start?

You probably don't want to hear this, but your Linux and z/VM performance
monitors should be able tell you where the problem is (or isn't).  If it's
a configuration issue, adding resources is unlikely to help.

If you don't have performance monitoring tools, life is going to be very
difficult since using VM and Linux commands to figure out what is going on
is a daunting task.  Much of the good information VM has about user and
system performance is not available via command, but is in the data stream
fed to a performance monitor.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott