On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 22:36:49 +0900 John Summerfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>Binyamin Dissen wrote:
:>> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 23:04:43 -0700 Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>> :>>>> On Sat, Feb 2, 2008 at  4:53 PM, in message
:>> :><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Binyamin Dissen
:>> :><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>> :>> I have TAR'ed the current PAM source and want to compile a few of them.

:>> :>> What is the proper MAKE command, and from where should it be issued?

:>> :>What distribution are you building it for?  That will determine to a
large extent how you do it.

:>> SUSE for Z.

:>I would have a look at how the vendor's built the package(s). Also,
:>unless you have good reason not to, the vendor's source is the source to
:>start from.

I would prefer starting off with something other than a sledgehammer.

:>> But to be even more basic. Say I write my own PAM routine - exactly what
:>> command is required to compile it into an .so format?

:>The gcc command can do it.

Thus leading to my question - are there any special options required?

Is gcc -o enough?

:>> Do I need to create a make file?

:>Well, you don't, but it's a good way to document how to build it, and
:>it's pretty important if you think there's any likelihood of your module
:>finding widespread use.

True.

But I am just starting.

I would rather concentrate on the code, rather than packaging at this early
time.

:>At the risk of sounding patronising, if you need to ask these questions
:>then you are probably not the person to write the pam module(s). If you
:>get something wrong, and it seems even the best programmers do, then you
:>  have the potential to do serious harm to some very serious work.

I understand the impact, and my initial attempt will be against FTP with a
session ready to restore the /etc file should my stuff blow.

:>Whether you decide to do this, or have someone else do it, if possible
:>develop on intellish hardware running your distro (or a free version of
:>it). the source code is compatible unless you do something strange such
:>as write assembler core or depend on byte ordering, and development way
:>well proceed more quickly and have litle risk of harm when something breaks.

:>I once wrote a JES2 exit that examined and modified JCL as it was
:>converted to the internal format; I have some experience of what can
:>happen when critical code doesn't work properly.

I have decades of SP experience on the MVS platform, with more system exits
than you could count. And several years on VM, including CP mods.

My issue is not in writing the code - it is in the installation. And I would
like as easy a build method as possible as I start this coding.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com