>>> On Sun, Feb 3, 2008 at  5:50 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Binyamin Dissen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> I downloaded from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/ .
>
> From the spec directory, it appears that the only unique compiler option is
> "-lpamc".

That wasn't the source that I meant, since it's not what any particular Linux
distribution will ship.  For example, the pam_lpap package, as shipped with
SLES10 compiles and links as follows:
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DLDAP_REFERRALS -DLDAP_DEPRECATED
-D_REENTRANT  -O2 -g -fmessage-length=0 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -fPIC -MT
pam_ldap.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/pam_ldap.Tpo" -c -o pam_ldap.o pam_ldap.c

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DLDAP_REFERRALS -DLDAP_DEPRECATED
-D_REENTRANT  -O2 -g -fmessage-length=0 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -fPIC -MT
md5.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/md5.Tpo" -c -o md5.o md5.c

gcc  -O2 -g -fmessage-length=0 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -fPIC   -o
pam_ldap.so -shared -Wl,-Bdynamic -Wl,--version-script,./exports.linux
pam_ldap.o md5.o  -lldap -llber -lnsl -lcrypt -lresolv -lpam -ldl

Clearly, some of those switches are going to be specific to the purpose of
talking to an LDAP server, but others are not.

> The make files for even the simple PAM modules are monsters. That is why I
> was
> hoping for some simple help.

That's because they are using automake and autoconf to generate them.  While
increasing the ease of maintenance, it makes them pretty ugly looking and hard
to understand.  You don't need to go that route, necessarily, at least not at
the beginning.  You can largely hard-code things and later work to massage them
into something more flexible.