On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Heiko Carstens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > I have no idea what's possible with an undocumented instruction ;-)
>  > If nothing else, we can get a CP PTF to only enable it on the 2nd ESSA
>  > instruction...
>
>  Ah no... we can fix that. If you like to patch your kernel the patch below
>  should fix the incosistency between what z/VM and Linux think about cmma
>  being active. I just gave it a quick run and it seems to work.
>  Not guaranteed to work however :)
>
>  For the rest I leave it up to Martin to comment, since I its his code.

I am sure you got the wink on my suggestion to make CP count the 2nd
time you try the ESSA...

There's different ways to correct bad defaults: "Question the Defaults
and Resist Change" :-)
The customers I talk to do not wish to compile their own kernel - many
will even need some time before they can pick up a new kernel provided
by the distributor. My recommendation still stands for those
customers.

Oh, and I doubt your patch does the trick. The ESSA will program check
when not there. I don't think fault.c will like that.

PS I did read that Brian Wade's experiments were done with cmma=on and
use the CP settings to enable / disable the feature. When my
assumptions about the implementation are correct, then that was indeed
the right way to do it. But it does not reveal what will happen to
customers who end up with a mix of penguins.

Rob