On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 15:36 -0700, Mark Post wrote:
> > Why? What is broken?
>
> Pretty much the whole thing.  On a too-frequent basis it would go
> pathological and hurt you more than help you.  According to Martin
> Schwidefsky, however, about a week ago, he's changed his opinion on
> CMMA.  He gave me this URL to look at:
> http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/530cmm.html  Look it over
> and make sure you meet the maintenance requirements.  Since I'm not a
> performance expert, I can't really assess the new-and-improved CMMA
> myself.  I have to depend on other people for that.

We had a rather interesting time to get cmma working the way we wanted
it to work. We a some rather nasty bugs and got worried that there might
be more daemons lurking in the dark. So we decided to play safe and make
cmma=off the default. In the meantime we got good results and didn't
find any more bugs so it is safe to turn on cmma now. But make sure that
you have the latest service levels.

> > For now CMMA seems a lot easier to do (far less moving parts
> involved), and
> > I have all the requirements.
>
> Not sure how many moving parts you think CMM-1 has.  As far as I can
> see, it's loading the kernel module and echoing some values
> into /proc/sys/vm/cmm_*

You need to setup VMRM to generate the messages that direct the cmm-1
modules on the different machines. With cmma you don't have to do
anything but switch it on.

--
blue skies,
  Martin.