From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:02 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Is it possible to do an initial SLES9 install on a
partially-LVM root?

>>> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at  5:50 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Collinson.Shannon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yeah, but we only have one disk in the LVM.  And while we want
striping

So, does that mean you did put a partition on the volume?  It's not
really clear from your answer.

> in place (because we'll be using mod54s with PAV in the near future),
at

To be able to use striping, you need more than one virtual
disk/minidisk.  Mod-54s sounds like you're planning on a lot of data.
SCSI over FCP should be considered at that point.

> the moment we don't have PAV either.  Maybe the real problem is that

If you're running on z/VM (and you are), you have PAV support in your
software.

> I've got 4 different filesystems (/var, /usr, /opt and /home) in a
> single minidisk with only one "reader" at the moment?

No.

> If so, could I fake out linux by chopping the minidisk into 4 (or
more)
> minidisks for the LVM, even though they'll still be on one physical VM
> volume?  Or since there's still only a base address for that VM
volume,
> will that not matter?

I wouldn't do that.  You have a problem somewhere else, but doing that
isn't going to help (I believe).

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]