From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Bruce Hayden
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 9:01 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Is it possible to do an initial SLES9 install on a
partially-LVM root?

You need to remember that you can't start more than 1 I/O to an
address (real or virtual!) at a time.  This is a hardware restriction.
 This is why PAV was invented - so that the PAV alias addresses can be
used to start parallel I/Os to the same base volume.  So - if you
don't have PAV, then it will not help to split up your mod 54 into
minidisks.  Linux may try to start more than 1 I/O at a time (since it
can start one to each virtual address) but  z/VM will only execute
them one at a time and the other I/O requests will wait.

If you had HyperPAV, then splitting up the mod 54 into minidisks
works, because then z/VM will use the PAV pool for that device to do
I/Os to that device in parallel.  If you have static PAV, the same
thing also works, but the alias addresses have to be set up in
advance.  If you had SLES 10, then instead, I'd recommend that you
define virtual PAV aliases to the guest with 1 minidisk and use
multipath on Linux for overlapped I/O.  But - this is not supported on
SLES 9.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]