>>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at  7:36 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ian S. Worthington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Mark.
>
> Many thanks for your kind offer. The initrd's a 2MB binary file though.  Is
> that the one you want?  If so, how do I get it off of the rescue system: ftp
> doesn't appear to be working and remote scp is refused.

Yes, the initrd-2.6.9-55.EL.img file.  Do you have your network interface up on
the rescue system?  I would think that's kind of important.  If it is up, then
you may need to edit the /etc/services file on the rescue system, if that's
even possible.  Add two lines to it:
ftp-data     20/tcp
ftp              21/tcp

Or, you might be able to scp the file out from the rescue system itself,
instead of trying to scp it from another system.