On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 16:58 +0100, Ian S. Worthington wrote:
> Progress!
>
> Many thanks Mark for that new initrd, but unfortunately it didn't like it:
>
> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LogVol00" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>

> Peter's suggestion to change /etc/modprobe.conf though does result in a system
> I can ipl at last, albeit it comes up without the new logical volume mounted.
>
> To fix that do I just need to mount it and run mkinird/zipl once more?

Doesn't seem like you'd need to run it again from rescue mode, but it's
worth a shot.  Do you have any LVM errors during bootup with the new
dasd range defined?

> And is the rescue disk a good place to try and expand the file system for root
> from?  Any guidance on how to do that safely would be much appreciated.

Yes, if you're expanding the root filesystem, you have to do it from
rescue mode.  For RHEL/CentOS 4, check out
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247272.html , specifically
section 11.1.5 on p. 150 (pdf p. 166).  This talks about extending the
LV and filesystem.  Long story short, the command you want is
ext2online.

> Thanks.

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
Brad Hinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z
Red Hat, Inc.
(919) 754-4198