Scott Rohling wrote:
Same here ..  I consult with many customers who have RH on Intel and it
makes sense to use the same distro on z.   There have been a couple of
occasions where SuSE was perhaps a little ahead on device drivers (FCP/SAN
comes to mind) -- but in general RH is a solid distro.  I also personally
prefer it's package manager (yum in RH5) and the ease with which you can
create package repositories.

SuSE/RH also put config files in slightly different places - so it reduces
the learning curve if they stick to the distro they use on other platforms.

I run several distros on intellish hardware. Oddly, I thought, Debian
and RH are more alike than RH and SUSE.

From my observation SUSE does some things a little oddly - I had
occasion to play with dhcp client scripts, they didn't work the way the
dhcp documentation said they do, and stuff that should work (as seen by
someone coming from rh) do not work, such as chkconfig with exists, says
it works, but doesn't (for example) enable gpm in runlevel 5.

It's well worth getting evaluation versions for both and trying them
out. SLES is available for evaluation as a download - register, download
and evaluate for (I think) 180 days. I've not investigated how to
evaluate RHEL.

Nobody's mentioned the free options, though some here are running
CentOS4 (C5 is not available for Z), and Debian. There is third-party
support for Debian and I expect some handwaving here RSN. Likely they do
CentOS too.

Oh, and someone's running Slack.

If certification is important, the free options aren't options for you.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait